June 15, 2020
With hurricane season upon us, now is the time to prepare before disaster strikes. Here are some tech recommendations for faculty and staff to consider when campus is in the path of a storm:
• Conserve your battery by exiting out of unused apps and turning on your device’s power-saving mode.
• Connect with your area’s building emergency coordinator for directions on how to secure work areas prior to a weather event or university closing.
• Update your desktop phone’s voicemail and set an auto-reply message on your Outlook email so colleagues have an alternative method for contacting you if necessary. Check out UFIT’s help page for setting up and accessing voicemail while away from the office.
• Forget to back up important files! Use one of UF’s free cloud storage options.
• Leave electronics plugged in. Flooding can occur on any floor of a multi-story building, so be sure that everything is removed from the floor and stored in a secure space away from windows.
The UF Emergency Management website is a great resource to help the UF community prepare for a weather emergency. Stay safe, Gators!